Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Innovation and the state.
New Haven : Yale University Press, c2007
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780300137743 0300137745 9780300153408 0300153406|
|Description:||1 online resource (xviii, 262 p.) : ill.|
|Contents:||Plurality, choice, and the politics of industrial innovation --
The development of the IT industry in Israel : maximization of R & D as an industrial policy --
The development of the IT industry in Taiwan : public research institutions as growth impetus? --
A misunderstood "miracle" : the state and the growth of the IT industry in Ireland --
Conclusion : comparing choices and consequences in rapid innovation-based industrialization.
The 1990s brought surprising industrial development in emerging economies around the globe: firms in countries not previously known for their high-technology industries moved to the forefront in new Information Technologies (IT) by using different business models and carving out unique positions in the global IT production networks. In this book, Dan Breznitz asks why economies of different countries develop in different ways, and his answer relies on the exhaustive research of the comparative experiences of Israel, Ireland, and Taiwan - states that made different choices to nurture the growth of their IT industries. The role of the state in economic development has changed, Breznitz concludes, but it has by no means disappeared. He offers a new way of thinking about state-led rapid-innovation-based industrial development that takes into account the ways production and innovation are now conducted globally. And he offers specific guidelines to help states make advantageous decisions about research and development, relationships with foreign firms and investors, and other critical issues.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Information technology -- Israel.
- Information technology -- Taiwan.
- Information technology -- Ireland.
- Israel -- Economic policy.
- Taiwan -- Economic policy.
- Ireland -- Economic policy.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE -- Public Policy -- Economic Policy.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Government & Business.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Development -- Economic Development.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Development -- Business Development.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Structural Adjustment.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Development -- General.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / General
- Economic policy.
- Information technology.
- Electronic books.